Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Womadelaide :: Day 1

So here's the start of my latest caravan holiday - this one to Adelaide in South Australia to attend the Womadelaide World Music Festival. 


It was cool, overcast and a bit showery when I headed off from home at about 10:30am and drove four hours via Geelong and the Great Ocean Road.  The weather gradually lifted as I drove.

My car and van at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road
- a place called the "Devil's Elbow"
The view of Cape Patton, not far from Apollo Bay
I arrived at my first scheduled stop in Apollo Bay at the Big 4 Pisces Caravan Park, unhitched and set up in warm sunshine with a stiff breeze.

The van set up with the pop-top up, overlooking the ocean
After setting up, I drove into the town centre and walked around the shops and then headed down to the beach for a walk along the sand.  At 6 o'clock I went for dinner to a lovely Greek restaurant called Chris's Beacon Point Restaurant, about 10 minutes back along the road from Apollo Bay.

The entrance to Chris's Beacon Point Restaurant
This restaurant was highly recommended on the foodie websites and I could understand why.  It is a fine dining restaurant, situated at the top of a hill, amongst soaring gum trees, overlooking Skenes Creek and Apollo Bay.

The view of the ocean at Skenes Creek from amongst the gum trees
Another view from my table of Apollo Bay
A lovely young waitress with a French accent handed me the menu and suggested some of the day's specials.  I asked for her recommendation and she said the sardines with lemon and tzatziki - an excellent suggestion, which I teamed with a 2019 Rusden 'Christian' Chenin Blanc from the Barossa Valley.  The sardines were absolutely exquisite!

Sardines with lemon and tzatziki - I only
remembered to take the photo after I was half-way through!
Then for main, I chose a rib eye of beef with a creamy mushroom sauce and potato mash, with a Greek salad.  The meat was very tender and delicious and the salad was beautifully fresh with just a light dressing, which is how I prefer it.  I chose a 2014 Ottelia Cabernet Sauvignon from the Coonawarra to go with this meal.  I'm deliberately choosing South Australian wines on this trip, as I'm intending to do a bit of winery touring while I'm there and to bring some delicious wines home with me.

Beef with creamy mushroom sauce and a Greek salad
Home by 9 o'clock for a cup of tea and to do a little reading - "The Drover's Wife" by Leah Purcell and then off to a very sound sleep, listening to the waves sweeping onto the sand just below the caravan park.  An absolutely beautiful start to my holiday!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely start to your trip darling. And I love the way you describe the meals! How lovely to end the day hearing the sound of the waves

    ReplyDelete