Saturday, January 21, 2012

Things To Do With Plums :: Plums in Honey Syrup

I have far too many plums off the tree and they are beginning to rot before I can do things with them.  I find this an awful shame, but have to just accept that I only have so many hours in a day and only so many jars to put them in!

Today I bottled some plums in a honey syrup.  This is a very simple recipe, but uses up quite a lot of plums, which can be kept for months and then either eaten as they are or used in a recipe.

I simply cut the plums in half and took the stones out, then packed them tightly into the 500ml jars (which I had sterilized in the water bath), adding a cinnamon stick and one-quarter of a vanilla bean pod.


Then, I dissolved 1-1/2 cups of manuka honey in 4 cups of water in a small pan on the stove, brought it to the boil and poured it into the jars of plums, leaving 2cm of space at the top.

Then, I popped the lids on and tightened them and processed the jars in the water bath for 30 minutes.  I made some covers out of another lovely "plum" fabric that I found on eBay and they were ready to put up in the pantry.


I have ordered some more jars on line today from Kitchenware Direct, because I can see the tomatoes are starting to ripen.  Uh OH!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment